I don’t read my sermons or type them out down to the level of individual sentences. Here is my outline from “A Church Rooted in the Gospel” on Colossians 1:1-8, preached on Jan. 14, 2018 at Gibbon Baptist Church.
- What does how we view church have to do with Jesus?
- What does how we view church have to do with the Bible?
- an agricultural area
- past its prime economically
- Paul hadn’t visited, didn’t know these people
A Reputation Rooted in the Gospel
What is a church known for?
Music, building, pastor, history, programs
- No reputation (can’t avoid having a reputation in an immediate family, small company, small town)
- Bad reputation
- Good reputation
“…we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all God’s people – the faith and love that spring from the hope stored up for you in heaven and about which you have already heard in the true message of the gospel that has come to you.” Colossians 1:4-6 NIV
1. A reputation of faith in Jesus
- Shocking sometimes how little Christians and Christianity have to do with Jesus
- What does faith in Jesus mean?
2. A reputation of love for all God’s people
- It’s easy to love some of God’s people
- The sticky wicket is? ALL
3. A reputation tied to hope and the gospel
- Follow the logic here
- Faith and love spring from hope
- Hope is communicated through the gospel
- The gospel is a true message, among many other messages
- Right message used in right way
What are we known for? What is our reputation?
A Spiritual Dynamic Rooted in the Gospel
How is a church growing? What is the energy/direction of church life?
“In the same way, the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world – just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and truly understood God’s grace.” Colossians 1:6 NIV
- Scope moves here from God’s people to the whole world
1. A spiritual dynamic of bearing fruit
- If it isn’t the gospel how can it bear gospel fruit
- If it is the gospel how can it fail to bear gospel fruit
2. A spiritual dynamic of growth
- Parable of the sower (Mark 4)
- Actually parable of the seed or soils
3. A spiritual dynamic tied to the gospel and grace
- Gospel wants to grow
- Gospel will grow
In what ways are we growing? Where is our reach or our capability expanding? What are some forms of growth?
A Personal Connection Rooted in the Gospel
How is a church connecting to people? What are personal connections used for?
Six degrees of separation
“You learned it from Epaphras, our dear fellow servant, who is a faithful minister of Christ on our behalf, and who also told us of your love in the Spirit.” Colossians 1:7-8 NIV
1. A personal connection of ministry and service
- Vs. 7-8
- probably a native of Colossae who came to Jesus through Paul’s ministry in Ephesus
- may have started churches in Hierapolis, Laodicea, and Colossae (Col. 4:12-13)
2. A personal connection of bragging, support, gratitude, and prayer
- Vs. 4, bragging
- Vs. 3, thanks/gratitude
- Vs. 3, praying
3. A personal connection tied to Christ and the gospel
- Right connection to Jesus
- Means connection to people
- 1 John 2
How are we connecting to people? What are we using our connections for?
- Spiritual Dynamic
- Personal Connection